What to do when it happens
Sometimes when a Prepay customer is disconnected, the main breaker in the customer’s home trips, and the home loses electricity.
Customers need to check their electric panels before calling Ripley Power and Light because policy prohibits service technicians from going into homes to check it.
Here’s what to do:
- Go to your electric panel. It is a tan or gray metal box that is usually on a wall in your basement, garage or utility closet.
- Make sure you are wearing rubber-soled shoes. Only bring insulated tools with you. Do not stand in water or on a wet surface.
- Inside your electric panel, you will find rows of switches that should be labeled by the part of your home each controls.
- Find the main circuit breaker. Make sure it is in the “on” position.
- Look for other circuit breakers that may have tripped. If one is flipped in the opposite direction from the other switches, flip it back in place.
- If this doesn’t solve your problem, call a licensed electrician.