32% of home fires are caused by space heaters
More home fires occur during the cold winter months than at any other time of year. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation, 32% of those fires are caused by space heaters.
Make sure to follow these important tips before you plug in a space heater:
- Place space heaters on a flat, level surface, away from high traffic areas.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Only use space heaters with the certification label of a nationally recognized testing lab.
- Plug a space heater directly into an outlet and avoid using an extension cord.
- Don't use a space heater if the plug is broken, or the cord is frayed or damaged.
Home heating tips to live by:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a heating source.
- Have your heating system inspected annually.
- Keep vents clear of dust and debris.
- Install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.